Our History, Geography and Demography
The DNU is a faith-based organization that belongs to the global Anglican Communion. The diocese began in March 1903 when the first Church Missionary Society entered Acholi land. Its first Acholi mission was established at Keyo (1904 - 08). Diocesan status was granted in 1961 when the DNU was carved from the Diocese of Upper Nile.
The DNU is located within the districts of Gulu and Amuru in Northern Uganda, and covers an area of 11,734 km2. The area has a tropical climate characterized by orographic rainfall and the predominant vegetation is largely composed of savanna grassland.
The area has a total population of about 450,000 people, most of whom were confined to one of the 51 IDP camps during the war. Now that the area has returned to relative peace, about 80 percent of those displaced have left the camps and gone back to their villages. This has placed enormous pressure on already weakened family support systems, social services and natural resources.
The DNU ascribes to the broader mission statement of the Church of Uganda, "to fulfill Christ's mission through holistic teaching, evangelism, discipleship and healing for healthy and godly nations."
- A belief in the authority of the Holy Scriptures
- Forgiveness and reconciliation
- Quality services delivery
- Team spirit
- Transparency and accountability
- To promote Christian values
- To facilitate integrated planning and development
- To promote research and advocacy to enhance peace and social justice
- To strengthen institutional and infrastructural capacity